- the only paths of investigation: how it is and isn't possible not to be; and how it is isn't and is necessary not to be #parmenides 1 day ago
- The victor and the vanquished alike will mingle among the shades. #Propertius #AugustanPoetry #LatinElegy 3 days ago
- I fear the very foolish fate of the moth #aeschylus #Icarian_Insects #fragments 4 days ago
- Health is the finest thing for mortal man... #CarminaConvivalia 1 week ago
- Fortune is glass; just when it shines bright it breaks #publiussyrus #fate #fortune #TwoUrnsofZeus 1 week ago
Author Archives: sententiaeantiquae
“These are the only paths of investigation to contemplate: how it both is and is not possible not to be…and how it is both unnecessary and necessary not to be” αἵπερ ὁδοὶ μοῦναι διζήσιός εἰσι νοῆσαι· ἡ μὲν ὅπως … Continue reading
“I fear the very foolish fate of the moth.” δέδοικα μῶρον κάρτα πυραύστου μόρον. The English doesn’t reflect the Greek word here for “moth” which indicates the way that it dies….”burnt by fire”.
“Fortune is glass; just when it shines bright it breaks.” Fortuna vitrea est: tum cum splendet frangitur. Publilius Syrus.
“For the wicked, profit is superior to justice” κακοῖς τὸ κέρδος τῆς δίκης ὑπέρτερον
“The fate of books depends on the reader’s comprehension.” pro captu lectoris habent sua fata libelli. Maurus
“She was contriving a trick as she carred water in one hand and fire in the other.” τῆι μὲν ὕδωρ ἐφόρει δολοφρονέουσα χειρί, θἠτέρηι δὲ πῦρ. Plutarch (in The Principle of Cold) says that this is … Continue reading
“Men are amazed more at those who could have [great] things but look down on them than those who actually have them.” θαυμάζουσι γοῦν τῶν ἐχόντων αὐτὰ μᾶλλον τοὺς δυναμένους ἔχειν καὶ διὰ μεγαλοψυχίαν ὑπερορῶντας
“The one who has begun has completed half the task.” “dimidium facti, qui coepit, habet.”
“Anacreon sings sweetly; Sappho sings sweetly; I hope someone mixes them up with Pindar and pours them out for me.” ἡδυμελὴς Ἀνακρέων, ἡδυμελὴς δὲ Σαπφώ Πινδαρικὸν δέ μοι μέλος συγκεράσας τις ἐγχέοι.
“The light of day is the sweetest thing for men to see And the world beneath us is nothing. Whoever prays to die is insane. Better to live badly than to die well.” τὸ φῶς τόδ᾽ ἀνθρώποισιν ἥδιστον βλέπειν, … Continue reading