- Let no one honor me with tears nor celebrate my funeral with weeping. Why? Alive I fly on the mouths of men #Ennius #Fragments #Afterlives 14 hours ago
- I am a wretch: because of the terrors I have suffered, I bring pleasure to my enemies and toil to my friends #theognis #backwards 1 day ago
- Reggie Bush names his daughter Briseis usm.ag/16xfvFm. No comment necessary. 2 days ago
- the only paths of investigation: how it is and isn't possible not to be; and how it is isn't and is necessary not to be #parmenides 5 days ago
- The victor and the vanquished alike will mingle among the shades. #Propertius #AugustanPoetry #LatinElegy 1 week ago
Tag Archives: Lies
“Truth, protect me with your straight hand from slandering a friend with lies.” ᾿Αλάθεια Διός, ὀρθᾷ χερί ἐρύκετον ψευδέων ἐνιπὰν ἀλιτόξενον.
“Surely it isn’t better when every truth bares its real face.” οὔ τοι ἅπασα κερδίων φαίνοισα πρόσωπον ἀλάθει’ ἀτρεκές·
“It is not shameful to proclaim even a lie publicly to save a life.” οὐ νέμεσις καὶ ψεῦδος ὑπὲρ ψυχῆς ἀγορεύειν. Peisander, you ask? Not the Spartan general or the Severan era poet. (An epic poet, … Continue reading
“I would rather serve as slave to another man a man with no land and livelihood than be a king over all the rotted corpses” βουλοίμην κ’ ἐπάρουρος ἐὼν θητευέμεν ἄλλῳ, ἀνδρὶ παρ’ ἀκλήρῳ, ᾧ μὴ βίοτος πολὺς … Continue reading
“There is a good time for lies and god honors it” ψευδῶν δὲ καιρὸν ἔσθ’ ὅπου τιμᾷ θεός Aeschylus was considered old-fashioned and austere, even among the Ancient Athenians!
“I think that the story of Odysseus’ suffering was exaggerated by sweet-worded Homer” ἐγὼ δὲ πλέον’ ἔλπομαι λόγον ᾿Οδυσσέος ἢ πάθαν διὰ τὸν ἁδυεπῆ γενέσθ’ ῞Ομηρον· Pindar was a poet of Epinikion. (but this line doesn’t … Continue reading