- Let no one honor me with tears nor celebrate my funeral with weeping. Why? Alive I fly on the mouths of men #Ennius #Fragments #Afterlives 22 hours ago
- I am a wretch: because of the terrors I have suffered, I bring pleasure to my enemies and toil to my friends #theognis #backwards 1 day ago
- Reggie Bush names his daughter Briseis usm.ag/16xfvFm. No comment necessary. 2 days ago
- the only paths of investigation: how it is and isn't possible not to be; and how it is isn't and is necessary not to be #parmenides 5 days ago
- The victor and the vanquished alike will mingle among the shades. #Propertius #AugustanPoetry #LatinElegy 1 week ago
Tag Archives: Euripides
“For the wicked, profit is superior to justice” κακοῖς τὸ κέρδος τῆς δίκης ὑπέρτερον
“The light of day is the sweetest thing for men to see And the world beneath us is nothing. Whoever prays to die is insane. Better to live badly than to die well.” τὸ φῶς τόδ᾽ ἀνθρώποισιν ἥδιστον βλέπειν, … Continue reading
Who knows whether living is really death and whether death is thought to be living below? τίς δ᾿ οἶδεν εἰ τὸ ζῆν μέν ἐστι κατθανεῖν, τὸ κατθανεῖν δὲ ζῆν κάτω νομίζεται Polyidus? A seer who found the … Continue reading
“It is foolish for a man to make his misfortunes known to everyone; it is wise to keep them hidden.” ἐκμαρτυρεῖν γὰρ ἄνδρα τὰς αὑτοῦ τύχας εἰς πάντας ἀμαθές, τὸ δ’ ἐπικρύπτεσθαι σοφόν. Ah, fragments. Always so quotable … Continue reading
“Myths frighten people.” φοβεροὶ δὲ βροτοῖσι μῦθοι Fear isn’t always a bad thing, right?
“Empathy is denied by ignorance but granted to the wise.” ἔνεστι δ᾽ οἶκτος ἀμαθίᾳ μὲν οὐδαμοῦ / σοφοῖσι δ᾽ ἀνδρῶν Ok, ok. οἶκτος…ἀνδρῶν isn’t literally “empathy”: but it seems to fit the passage better.
It is right to believe in the gods no longer if injustice will surpass what is just ἢ χρὴ μηκέθ᾽ ἡγεῖσθαι θεούς, εἰ τἄδικ᾽ ἔσται τῆς δίκης ὑπέρτερα. Electra, daughter of Agamemnon, certainly had reasons to be … Continue reading
“An unsteady mind is an unjust possession” νοῦς δέ γ᾽ οὐ βέβαιος ἄδικον κτῆμα… Although many minds might come undone at the thought of Iphigenia….
“To give birth is awe-inspiring: it brings a great love charm. “ δεινὸν τὸ τίκτειν καὶ φέρει φίλτρον μέγα Euripides is not always so kind to women…