- Let no one honor me with tears nor celebrate my funeral with weeping. Why? Alive I fly on the mouths of men #Ennius #Fragments #Afterlives 1 day ago
- I am a wretch: because of the terrors I have suffered, I bring pleasure to my enemies and toil to my friends #theognis #backwards 1 day ago
- Reggie Bush names his daughter Briseis usm.ag/16xfvFm. No comment necessary. 2 days ago
- the only paths of investigation: how it is and isn't possible not to be; and how it is isn't and is necessary not to be #parmenides 5 days ago
- The victor and the vanquished alike will mingle among the shades. #Propertius #AugustanPoetry #LatinElegy 1 week ago
Category Archives: Greek
“Alas, I am a wretch: because of the terrors I have suffered I bring pleasure to my enemies and toil to my friends.” ῎Ωιμοι ἐγὼ δειλός· καὶ δὴ κατάχαρμα μὲν ἐχθροῖς, τοῖσι φίλοις δὲ πόνος δεινὰ παθὼν γενόμην.
“These are the only paths of investigation to contemplate: how it both is and is not possible not to be…and how it is both unnecessary and necessary not to be” αἵπερ ὁδοὶ μοῦναι διζήσιός εἰσι νοῆσαι· ἡ μὲν ὅπως … Continue reading
“For the wicked, profit is superior to justice” κακοῖς τὸ κέρδος τῆς δίκης ὑπέρτερον
“For, whether it be great virtues or great riches, all things come to one terrible Charybdis.” πάντα γὰρ μίαν ἱκνεῖται δασπλῆτα Χάρυβδιν, αί μεγάλαι τ’ ἀρεταὶ καὶ ὁ πλοῦτος.
“Anacreon sings sweetly; Sappho sings sweetly; I hope someone mixes them up with Pindar and pours them out for me.” ἡδυμελὴς Ἀνακρέων, ἡδυμελὴς δὲ Σαπφώ Πινδαρικὸν δέ μοι μέλος συγκεράσας τις ἐγχέοι.
“The light of day is the sweetest thing for men to see And the world beneath us is nothing. Whoever prays to die is insane. Better to live badly than to die well.” τὸ φῶς τόδ᾽ ἀνθρώποισιν ἥδιστον βλέπειν, … Continue reading
“He did whatever he was ordered not out of fear but because of shame—he was more hurt by reproach than weighed down by toil.” εὐπειθείᾳ πάλιν αὖ καὶ πρᾳό- τητι τοιοῦτος ἦν οἷος φόβῳ μηδέν, αἰσχύνῃ δὲ … Continue reading
“It is equally misguided and foolish to fault praise-worthy affairs and to praise faulty things.” ἴσε γὰρ ἁμαρτία καὶ ἀμαθία μέμφεσθαί τε τὰ ἐπαινετὰ καὶ ἐπαινεῖν τὰ μωμητά
“The businessman will seem to make money for someone besides himself, for you, the man adept at speaking and persuading the masses.” ὁ δὲ χρηματιστὴς οὗτος ἄλλῳ ἀναφανήσεται χρηματιζόμενος καὶ οὐχ αὑτῷ, ἀλλὰ σοὶ τῷ δυναμένῳ λέγειν καὶ πείθειν … Continue reading
“For those who search them out virtuous deeds inspire envy and a desire for emulation” ταῦτα δ’ ἔστιν ἐν τοῖς ἀπ’ ἀρετῆς ἔργοις, ἃ καὶ ζῆλόν τινα καὶ προθυμίαν ἀγωγὸν εἰς μίμησιν ἐμποιεῖ τοῖς ἱστορήσασιν·