- the only paths of investigation: how it is and isn't possible not to be; and how it is isn't and is necessary not to be #parmenides 2 days ago
- The victor and the vanquished alike will mingle among the shades. #Propertius #AugustanPoetry #LatinElegy 4 days ago
- I fear the very foolish fate of the moth #aeschylus #Icarian_Insects #fragments 5 days ago
- Health is the finest thing for mortal man... #CarminaConvivalia 1 week ago
- Fortune is glass; just when it shines bright it breaks #publiussyrus #fate #fortune #TwoUrnsofZeus 1 week ago
Monthly Archives: July 2012
“It is not better for men to have as much they want” ἀνθρώποις γίνεσθαι ὁκόσα θέλουσιν οὐκ ἄμεινον
“As men, there is no better place to die than where we have lived freely”. Nusquam melius morimur homines quam ubi libenter uiximus. Publilius Syrus
“God always bring like men together.” αἰεί τοι τὸν ὁμοῖον ἄγει θεὸς ὡς τὸν ὁμοῖον This, of course, is not necessarily a positive thing (in the Odyssey the wicked cowherd Melantheus says this to insult Odysseus and … Continue reading
“You should change your spirit, not the weather”. animum debes mutare, non caelum. Lucius Annaeus Seneca In other words, running away from your problems doesn’t change much . . .
“I would much rather acquire a friend than all of Darius’ gold.” οἶμαι δέ…μᾶλλον ἢ τὸ Δαρείου χρυσίον κτήσασθαι δεξαίμην πολὺ πρότερον ἑταῖρον A sweet sentiment certainly, but typically undermined by Socrates’ claims soon thereafter that he … Continue reading
“The origin and source of good writing is good judgment”. scribendi recte sapere est et principium et fons. Quintus Horatius Flaccus
“Men are too blind and senseless to foresee the share of good and ill to come.” νήιδες ἄνθρωποι καὶ ἀφράδμονες οὔτ᾽ ἀγαθοῖο αἶσαν ἐπερχομένου προγνώμεναι οὔτε κακοῖο: So says Demeter, a dread divinity to say the … Continue reading
“There is almost no legal proceeding that does not have a woman behind it”. nulla fere causa est in qua non femina litem moverit. Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis
“If I mounted your bed once, I would be willing to go straight to Hades’ home” βουλοίμην κεν ἔπειτα… σῆς εὐνῆς ἐπιβὰς δῦναι δόμον Ἄιδος εἴσω. So Anchises says to Aphrodite, before sex.