- I am a wretch: because of the terrors I have suffered, I bring pleasure to my enemies and toil to my friends #theognis #backwards 9 hours ago
- Reggie Bush names his daughter Briseis usm.ag/16xfvFm. No comment necessary. 1 day ago
- the only paths of investigation: how it is and isn't possible not to be; and how it is isn't and is necessary not to be #parmenides 4 days ago
- The victor and the vanquished alike will mingle among the shades. #Propertius #AugustanPoetry #LatinElegy 6 days ago
- I fear the very foolish fate of the moth #aeschylus #Icarian_Insects #fragments 1 week ago
Monthly Archives: November 2011
“If you have a garden in your library, you’ve got it all” si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil
The road upward and down is one and the same ὁδὸς ἄνω κάτω μία καὶ ὡυτή. Some Heraclitus references.
“Sometimes even good Homer nods off” quandoque bonus dormitat Homerus Quintus? Ars Poetica
“Satiety breeds arrogance whenever men with unfit minds have great wealth.” τίκτει γὰρ κόρος ὕβριν, ὅταν πολὺς ὄλβος ἕπηται ἀνθρώποις ὁπ̣όσοις μὴ νόος ἄρτιος ἦι. Solon the law-maker
“You can find anything in Rome – for a price.” omnia Romae cum pretio Juvenal who?
“The gods do not give everything to men at the same time.” ἀλλ᾿ οὐ πως ἅμα πάντα θεοὶ δόσαν ἀνθρώποισιν The full text.
“We should take care to live well, not long” non ut diu vivamus curandum est, sed ut satis Seneca the Younger
“We have ample time to be dead yet we live our few years badly” πολλὸς γὰρ ἥμιν ἐστι τεθνάναι χρονος ζῶμεν δ᾿ ἀριθμῷ παῦρα κακῶς ἔτεα What do we know about Semonides of Amorgos?
I can’t live with you or without you nec tecum possum vivere nec sine te
“The life of a slave: not saying what one thinks” δούλου τόδ᾿ εἶπας, μὴ λέγειν ἅ τις φρονεῖ